Sanjeevani's cancer care programs have been progressing swiftly since the past three years in Assam's capital city, Guwahati, often considered to be the gateway to the North East. Working in cooperation with the Dr. Bhubaneswar Borooah Cancer Institute (BBCI), we have helped more than 3,906 patients between the period of April 2019 to March 2020.
Active Programs include:
1. CanSahyogi : Handholding and Counselling sessions in hospital premises for cancer patients of BBCI.
2. Can Chetna : A program meant to create awareness in Guwahati's various schools, colleges, universities and communities, about the need to adopt a healthy lifestyle to prevent cancer and the importance of early detection for higher chances of survival.
1. Providing blood for cancer patients on an urgent basis through the creation of our Blood Donor Forum.
2. Opening of Toy Bank for children undergoing cancer treatment.
3. Opening of Clothes Bank to offer fresh, hygienic clothes for patients from economically weaker backgrounds who are unable to afford them.
4. Providing wigs to cancer patients.
5. Offering free Cancer Screening for local communities with the help of Doctors/staff of BBCI.
6. Distributing blankets and mosquito nets amongst the underprivileged patients at BBCI.
7. Raising digital awareness through short films with the help of our dedicated team of interns and volunteers on the following themes:
8. Hand sanitizers and face-protection masks were distributed amongst the staff and patients of BBCI in light of the precautions needed to be taken due to COVID-19.
1. World Cancer Day was organized to impart knowledge about cancer, its types, methods of treatment with the ultimate goal of eradicating the stigma associated with cancer.
2. Pre-Diwali festivities, Christmas, New Year's Eve and even Bhogali Bihu, the most important festival of Assam, was celebrated with the patients of BBCI to help them deal with the absence of their families around them during times of festival celebrations.
3. International Yoga Day was celebrated in collaboration with Sacred Heart Palliative Care, to stress on the benefits of Yoga for alleviating pain in cancer patients.
4. World No Tobacco Day was observed in a unique way with our interns and volunteers conducting street plays around Guwahati. An essay competition was also organized, the awards for which were handed out by Dr. Amal Chandra Kataki and renowned film star Kapil Borah from the Assamese film industry.
5. Labour Day was celebrated to show our appreciation towards every worker at BBCI for all the care they provide for each and every cancer patient.
6. International Women's Day was celebrated with a focus on increasing awareness about the types of cancer affecting women and educating them on steps to prevent the same.
7. Friendship Day was celebrated as well to emphasize the significance of healthy relationships and promote the qualities of brotherhood and togetherness.
8. Children's Day was celebrated with children undergoing cancer treatment at BBCI to take their minds off the painful aspect of dealing with their illnesses.
9. Valentine's Day was celebrated in the premises of BBCI to embolden the message of love among cancer patients.
10. An event to recognize the need for the awareness and prevention of breast cancer was organized at the Maligaon Railway Auditorium.
11. We also actively participated in the Walkathon organised by BBCI for increased cancer awareness in Guwahati.
Awards and Recognition :
1. Ms. Sumki Begum (Former Senior Program Executive, Guwahati Chapter), was awarded the 'Chalo Kuch Naya Karte Hai' for her innovation in the field of onco-care at the 2019 Golden Angel Awards.
2. The Guwahati Chapter received recognition for its outstanding contribution towards caring for cancer patients from the Dr. Bhubaneswar Borooah Cancer Institute (BBCI) of Guwahati.
Our team members are
1. Arpita Chakraborty - Sr. Program Executive
2. Somadrita Neog - Sr. Program Executive
3. Dulal Deka - Jr. Counselor
Our Intervention in the above hospital is supported through a grant by Numaligarh Refinery Limited
To get in touch with our team you can write to us on [email protected] or Call us on our #Sanjeevani_India_Helpline - 8691000800